Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A couple of Recommendations

I have been rather busy the last few weeks so the blog has been painfully neglected. I do have a bit to relay about my future plans, but that's for a later post. Tonight I decided to share some "stuff" that's making me happy at the moment.

I don't listen to the radio. I don't watch MTV. The way I acquire music is this: I look up a band on amazon that I am currently fond of, then I scroll down to the "people who bought this also bought-" section and I listen to samples of different albums until I find something I like. Using Modest Mouse as a template, I came upon Foster the People. I honestly have no idea whether or not they are popular or respected. All I do know, is I have been listening to track # 1 (Helena Beat) on repeat more than I have for any song since "Bleed" by Animal Collective. The structure of the song just gets me every time. I've heard it so many times now and yet it still manages to surprise me, if that makes any sense. I also dig the song "Pumped Up Kids" which, after doing some youtubing, I am assuming is one of the singles from this album. It's kind of an experimental album, but it almost sounds like somebody put words to dance music from a nightclub. I mean that in a good way.



I love discovering a group of work of which I had previously been unaware. One good example is the song of ice and fire series. I read the books before the HBO show was announced, but my roommate introduced me to it when there were already four books out for it. Getting to read those back to back with no idea what was going to happen was so enjoyable. Neil Gaiman has now fallen squarely into this same category. My first introduction to Gaiman was an offshoot of being a fan of Terry Pratchett. I picked up Good Omens because I love discworld, and I was excited to see what else pratchett could do. I honestly couldn't tell who wrote which parts of the book, but I enjoyed it all so I decided to give this Gaiman fella a chance and picked up "American Gods." It got off to a slow start for me, but I grew to love it. I loved the story, the setting, the characters, the voice, everything. The next on my list is Neverwhere. I just started reading it and already I'm enraptured by it. I read the first 70 pages in a sitting and I love where the story is going, every moment has been perfect. If somehow you, like me, have been in the dark about Gaiman, this is a good one to pick up.


Hugo is a movie for people who love movies. I don't want to take away any of the surprises so I'll leave it at that.



I'm sorry. I feel like a total bandwagoner, but my God Draw Something has its claws in me deep. I eagerly refresh my screen over and over waiting for it to be my turn again. I love it. My name is Dav3r5 if you want to add me and start a game.

Do it.



There's more, but I think that'll do for now. A more solid update is forthcoming.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found Neil Gaiman! :) He's one of my favorite authors. If you like graphic novels, his Sandman series is excellent.

    I'll have to check out Foster the People!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying Gaiman so far and fully intend to own every word he writes. I really want to read Sandman actually, but I have to wait until the money thing is no longer an issue. I have to hope the library up at EWU has it. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete