Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Voices that Effect Us

One of my favorite things to do during a movie, tv show, or game, is it identify actors that I recognize  and try to remember what other things I have seen them in. I'm working on my second playthrough of Mass Effect 3 and thought it might be fun to put together a little piece featuring the (mostly) awesome voice work that this series has brought us (To avoid a 30 page blog, I'm just focusing on the two voices of Shepard and more recognizable members of the cast) So without further ado, I bring you the Voices and Faces of Mass Effect 3:

Commander Shepard (Male)


The male version of Commander Shepard is voiced by Actor/Writer Mark Meer. While his live-action credits are mostly unknown to me, he is no stranger to Bioware games having voiced characters from Dragon Age I & II, Jade Empire, Neverwinter Nights, and Baldur's Gate II. I'll be honest, I prefer the voice acting of FemShep, so I haven't heard his voice as much, but I think he's at his best when Shepard is mad, as ridiculous as that may sound.

Commander Shepherd (Female)


The Female version of Commander Shepard is voiced by Jennifer Hale, also not widely known for live-action roles, but a pretty big name in the voice acting community. Her work over the years includes Naomi Hunter in the Metal Gear Solid series, Samus Aran in Metroid Prime, Bastila Shan in Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, and literally hundreds of assorted roles across video games and animated movies and tv shows. It's not surprising that her voice work is my preferred vehicle for Shepard.


Admiral Anderson


Admiral Anderson is probably the first really recognizable voice in Mass Effect 3. He is voiced by Keith David, a long-career actor known for roles in Platoon, Crash, Pitch Black, and The Thing. I recognized his voice right off the bat, but I had to take to the internet before I placed it perfectly.

Captain Bailey




Now this voice I would know anywhere. Captain Bailey is voiced by the prolific Michael Hogan, better known to sci-fi enthusiasts as Saul Tigh from the epic series Battlestar Galactica. He is without question my favorite character in BSG, and because of that I always get excited when I see or hear him in another piece of media. He also voiced the leader of the Imperial Army in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

EDI







Here we have another role furnished by talent from Battlestar Galactica, as EDI was voiced by Tricia Helfer. She is well known for playing the iconic Cylon from BSG, and her voice fits perfectly in the role of EDI.

Admiral Hackett



Here we have another role filled by a sci-fi great as Admiral Steven Hackett was voice by Lance Henriksen. Henriksen is well known for his role as Bishop in Aliens and Alien 3, as well as roles in Terminator, Millenium and various other acting roles since the seventies.

Illusive Man



Here we have possibly my favorite character in Mass Effect lore, the Illusive Man and who better to voice him than acting legend Martin Sheen. Unless you've been living without electricity for years, you should be well aware of who Martin Sheen is, though I will say my favorite roles of his are in The Departed and West Wing. He is also partially to blame for bringing Charlie Sheen into the world which could be a good or bad thing depending on your opinion.

Miranda Lawson






The beautiful Miranda Lawson is voiced by the equally beautiful Yvonne Strahovski. I always like when video game characters are made to look like their real-life counterparts which you can see is the case here. Strahovski is best known for playing Sarah Walker on the TV series "Chuck."

Jeff "Joker" Moreau



Ah Joker, the Dolorous Edd of Mass Effect. Regardless of the severity of the mission you just finished, Joker always has a great pun or piece of dry humor to lighten the mood. So naturally Seth Green was a great choice to play him. You should know who this is, but just in case, you would know him from playing Scott Evil in Austin Powers, the voice of Chris in Family Guy, or a number of comedies from the 90s, especially Can't Hardly Wait.

Aria T'Loak




Resident bad-ass Aria T'Loak is voiced by resident bad-ass Carrie-Anne Moss. Moss is most recognizable from playing Trinity in The Matrix series, but also had great roles in Memento, Suspect Zero and Chocolat. I loved this character and thought it would have been awesome to have her as a party member, but alas it just wasn't to be. Maybe in the DLC? C'mon Bioware.

James Vega




This one surprised me the most out of the whole cast, as the 'roided out super soldier James Vega was played by 90's heartthrob Freddie Prinze jr. I've never been a big fan of his work but I enjoyed his character in this. You would recognize him from She's All that, I Know what you Did Last Summer, and the award winning murder-mystery classic, Scooby Doo.

Stargazer




While decidedly not a big role, I thought this was a very cool thing for Bioware to do. The bit part of Stargazer was voiced by Buzz Adlrin. If you don't know who that is, you should probably enroll in a couple general-knowledge classes, as he was the second man to walk on the moon in the Apollo 11 program. It's a great nod for a sci-f epic to make, and I liked it.


There are more characters and actors of course but this already took about three hours to complete so I'll stop here. Let me know if this is something you liked and maybe I can do it again with a little more depth and structure.

4 comments:

  1. Good job, I haven't really seen an analysis on Mass Effect Voice Acting. How well do you think the voices matched the actions to the characters inside and outside of the dialog trees?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always had a problem with the dialogue tree, mostly because they never actually said the dialogue options out loud. This would sometimes lead to weird situations where I picked an option that seemed to fit the character and situation, but then a totally different feeling would come across than I intended.

    Apart from that, Male Shepard came across a bit "dry toast"y for me. Jennifer Hale was great and I will always consider her voice to be the true Shepard.

    One thing I did like was that there were definitely moments where it didn't sound like everything was just being recorded in a studio. I don't know if it was just simple reverb effects or what, but when they were supposed to be in a big cavernous locale or a small boxed in lab, it actually sounded like that, whereas I seem to remember it not being that way for 1 and 2.

    As with any piece the voice work shined in some places and dragged in others but overall I think it was a success and definitely the strongest outing of the series.

    [Edited and re-posted for spelling error]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea about all the people! Ahh! I am really quite happy I read this.

    ReplyDelete